The 2016 Iowa General Assembly passed SF 2196, and this legislation subsequently was signed by the Governor. It adds requirements for teacher preparation programs to address the literacy needs of students with disabilities such as dyslexia. In our efforts to support undergraduate and graduate students who are trying to increase their knowledge of reading disabilities, the Iowa Reading Research Center is offering students in teacher certification, reading endorsement, or reading specialist certification programs the opportunity to earn a certificate for completing 2 hours of online training about dyslexia. Interested students will need to register and provide documentation they are enrolled in accredited programs in Iowa. Once approved, they will complete a short pretest and then be given access to the animated training modules.
Module 1. Dyslexia Explained
- Understand the general characteristics of dyslexia.
- Learn to identify warning signs for different age groups.
- Dispel common myths about dyslexia.
Module 2. Phonological Dyslexia
- Recognize phonological difficulties linked to dyslexia and effective strategies to overcome them.
Module 3. Working Memory and Dyslexia
- Understand the link between working memory and dyslexia.
- Test your own working memory and learn helpful strategies.
Module 4. Visual Processing Dyslexia
- Explore visual processing dyslexia and related difficulties.
- Learn practical classroom strategies.
Module 5. Auditory Processing Dyslexia
- Understand the role of auditory processing in dyslexia.
Module 6. How to Help
- Learn effective approaches to help children with dyslexia.
- Explore powerful learning strategies and assistive technology.
- Discover hidden strengths of students with dyslexia.
After viewing all six training modules, participating students will take two brief posttests and then be sent the certificate. Participants will retain access to the training modules for one year. We encourage instructors to incorporate this training into their course requirements.
To register for the training click here.